Twiggys [was: Re: ka... ching!]

Ian S. King isking at uw.edu
Sun Oct 9 00:58:28 CDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 8, 2016 at 8:54 PM, william degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:

> To me, getting old computers up and running, or programming on them *is*
> the game as far as I am concerned.  More fun than most packaged software
> games.  I have made my own games, and I certainly play computer games, but
> that's not why I am interested in vintage computing.
>
> I just spent a few hours tonight attempting to network my NeXTstation color
> computer and get to the post of accessing the vcfed.org forum so I could
> post a message on there.  Just for fun, using ancient dawn of the WWW
> technology.    Feels like a game to me, there is no practical purpose to
> doing this other than enjoyment.
>
> My point is for those of us who pooh pooh vintage gamers not to take
> themselves too seriously.  We're all just playing games if you ask me.

Maybe thirty years ago, I had a friend who was into computers as a hobby,
as was I, and both of us also worked with them in our day jobs.  We'd get
together and he'd tell me about his latest game acquisition.  Then it was
my turn to talk, and I'd tell him about hacking the 0.98 Linux kernel to do
something I thought was interesting.

I've never been a gamer, but always played games down in the kernel.

--
Ian S. King, MSIS, MSCS, Ph.D. Candidate
The Information School <http://ischool.uw.edu>

Archivist, Voices From the Rwanda Tribunal <http://tribunalvoices.org>
Value Sensitive Design Research Lab <http://vsdesign.org>

University of Washington

There is an old Vulcan saying: "Only Nixon could go to China."