Twiggys [was: Re: ka... ching!]

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Oct 9 03:58:17 CDT 2016

On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 04:20:55PM -0700, Chuck Guzis wrote:
[...]
> Still don't. Playing a computer game is about as entertaining to me as
> putting my money into an online slot machine.

Find better games :)

The theme of this list means that I should recommend some retro games and
gaming systems, but those old games generally lacked depth and tried to cover
it up by making the game insanely difficult and relying on extremely good
timing and motor skills. I never really got on with retro games.

There are still plenty of mindless first-person shooters with no depth coming
out, but at least there are more gems to be found amongst the rough. I rather
enjoyed the two Portal games, which superficially look like shooters -- your
interface with its universe is called a Portal gun -- it's really a 3D puzzle
game with some interesting plot twists. Goat Simulator is a bizarre sandbox in
which there is the minimum of game elements required to hold all the satirical
easter eggs together.