Gaming on old systems (was Re: Twiggys [was: Re: ka... ching!])

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 15:56:40 CDT 2016

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 4:58 AM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> Find better games :)
>
> The theme of this list means that I should recommend some retro games and
> gaming systems...

I am actively seeking lists of favorite games on all platforms prior
to 1995.  Specifically, things that require Windows and a Pentium and
newer are out of bounds.  I'm attempting to breathe some excitement
into a retro-gaming meetup I hold a few times a year at our
hackerspace.  I'm already bringing the hardware - to date, Commodore
PET, Commodore 64, Apple II, Atari 2600, PDP-8 (emulated for now), and
curses-based UNIX games, and would like to add more platforms.  I'm
especially interested in any favorites that run on dumb terminals (I
have numerous ones to bring in, and have a VT220 already in the
collection).

Yes, I know a bunch of games that run on those platforms.  I'm looking
for other people's favorites because that is what will stimulate
interest in the meetups.  I already bring my own favorites, but
learning what other people remember fondly - tapping into their
nostalgia - will be a big help.

In bounds are any machines from the 70s and 80s that a) are common
enough to lay hands on or b) have a reasonable emulator on modern
platforms.  I will probably add DOS games to the list, but that's not
the focus at first - 8-bit microcomputers and minicomputers are at the
top of the list.  Emulation via simh is acceptable but I'll try to dig
up the original hardware where possible.

If you've played anything in the past 3 years, I'd especially like to
hear about it since that speaks to enjoyment and replayability.  If
you like it, someone here will probably like it too.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

-ethan