Gaming on old systems (was Re: Twiggys [was: Re: ka... ching!])

Jason Howe jason at smbfc.net
Mon Oct 10 18:43:07 CDT 2016

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016, Ethan Dicks wrote:

> I am actively seeking lists of favorite games on all platforms prior
> to 1995.
> If you've played anything in the past 3 years, I'd especially like to
> hear about it since that speaks to enjoyment and replayability.  If
> you like it, someone here will probably like it too.
>
> Thanks for any and all suggestions!
>
> -ethan

Some favorites that have stuck with me for a very long time, which I have
played within the last year.
A8:
Star Raiders
Star Raiders II (The Last Starfighter)
Star Raiders II (The actual sequel, just uncovered ealier this year)
Super Breakout
Frogger
Asteroids
Star Wars (the Wireframe 3D one)

DOS (low spec 2/386)
SimCity
OregonTrail
Where in the <location> is Carmen Sandiego
Wolfenstien 3D

DOS (high spec 486/Penium)
Carmegedeon
X-Wing
Tie Fighter
Dark Forces
Doom
Might and Magic

(Okay, yes, I was a total LucasArts Junky for a while.  Dark Forces and
the X-Wing/Tie Fighter twins are pretty much my favorite games of all
times.  These run quite well in DosBox if you can't lay your hands on
period hardware.)

--Jason