Getting out of the hobby

Brad H vintagecomputer at bettercomputing.net
Tue Oct 11 23:24:45 CDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: cctalk [mailto:cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org] On Behalf Of Eric Smith
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 5:41 PM
To: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
Subject: RE: Getting out of the hobby

On Oct 11, 2016 3:48 PM, "Brad H" <vintagecomputer at bettercomputing.net>
wrote:
> I always enjoyed the repair aspect of the hobby more than use,
> although I
do
> enjoy some use.  The learning is the best part, I think.  It's almost
> a letdown when something is already just working.

>Weird Stuff Warehouse used to put "Guaranteed Not to Work" stickers on some of the items they sold. One time I >bought an Atari 800 with such a sticker, intending to part it out to repair other machines. To my dismay, it worked >perfectly. I went back and complained. They said I was the only person to have ever complained, but that they would >honor the guarantee if I brought it back, i.e., they would break it for me.

That is hilarious, and awesome. :)  It really does kind of suck the fun out of it.  When I got my Digital Group Z80 I couldn't even find a photo of one operating with something on the screen.  Mine wasn't operating at all so I literally had no idea what to expect.  When I finally got a (corrupted) prompt it was like discovering an ancient Egyptian tomb.  Sort of. :)  I can't wait to try getting my Phideck working with it.