Getting out of the hobby

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Fri Oct 14 12:56:42 CDT 2016

On 10/14/2016 10:32 AM, Richard Schauer wrote:

> I'm searching the alt.folklore.computers group (on Google; my ISP no
> longer runs a NNTP server) and I can't find Bill's initial invitation
> message.  I find a later one from June 1997, cross-posted to lots of
> comp.sys.* groups, advertising the (existing) group, and a couple from
> some comp.sys.* groups from March 13th in which he says the list "just
> started."
I hate to fuss, but Google trashed the text archives some time ago after
acquiring the effort that was archiving them.  Unless you have your own
email archive and it has the message, there is hit and miss on what
Google may have retained.  Don't recall, Deja-news?  or such.  I know
that several groups i had archived suddenly looked like swiss cheese
after they took it over.

comp.databases.pick being one of them.  I also had had an email exchange
with Dennis Richie which was lost.  Also was in on the discussions with
some guy name Torvalds who was writing his own system and arguing with
Tanenbaum.

thanks
Jim