Reasonable price for a complete SOL-20 system?

Corey Cohen AppleCorey at optonline.net
Sat Oct 15 14:42:42 CDT 2016

> On Oct 15, 2016, at 3:08 PM, Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 15, 2016, at 12:04, Brad H <vintagecomputer at bettercomputing.net> wrote:
>>

>> SOL-20s have been all over the map.  Ive seen similar units diverge by as much as $500 for nothing obvious I can see.  The average for unknown, complete, decent cosmetic condition seems to be around $900. With extras probably $1300?
>
> Thanks for your data point! That's not as expensive as I was worried it might be.
>

> --
> Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
> http://www.nf6x.net/

Keep in mind since it's not currently confirmed working that effects the price.  If there is no scratches or rust on the system it will be worth more can be a lot more, minimum 1000 to 1500 in non working condition.  Early Sol-20 were rust buckets both on the case and the chassis.  I usually can find non working rust bucket for about $500.   I can usually get them working on a few hours.   A really good condition with manuals and confirmed working Sol-20 currently sell for more than 2k.   Monitors don't count and can be found cheaply.  Heck I used a $100 LCD screen mounted on the wall for the longest time with one so I wouldn't scratch the perfect top on one of. One.

The disk drive can really affect value.  If it's a Northstar system, then maybe add 400 bucks the most.  If it's a Helios.  A working drive can be priceless if the drive is still the original Persci one.  Non-working Helios can be like a trip to vegas.  They have a glass voice coil which tend to damage if not shipped correctly and plastic eject gears that split.  I would pay about 1k to 1500 for a non-working Helios including the two cards depending on the condition of the case.  I generally assume a non working drive as a core drive for parts and if the glass isn't broken and the gears aren't split it's a candidate for a complete overhaul including bearings and that takes time and skill.  I've been working on one on and off for about a year now, putting a few hours in every few weeks or so.

I couldn't even venture to guess the price of a working Helios.  There are less of them around than fingers on my hand and toes on my feet.

A few more things to note.  Assume the keyboard needs new foam, no big deal.  Check the wood to make sure it's not cracked.  And make sure you have the personality module included.

Good luck,
Cheers,
Corey