Photos from the NWA Auction

Cory Heisterkamp coryheisterkamp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 11:12:07 CDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 4:46 PM, Jason T <silent700 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 7:57 AM, Ben Sinclair <ben at bensinclair.com> wrote:
> > Great photos! I'm curious as to how long ago this equipment was in
> > operation. The photos here and on the auction site almost looked like
> > someone just got up and walked away, at least from the desks and office
> > supplies, etc. that I saw.
>
> Perhaps more recently than one would think.  It's not like there were
> newer systems they could have used to keep their simulators running
> (tho I did see some PCs in the room that may have been performing the
> tasks of the older machines?)
>
> I would have loved to have been there at the clean-out.  A nice
> example of a proper old datacenter, preserved.
>
> Wonder if anyone got the actual simulators/cockpits?  Fun toys but
> won't fit in your average basement...

The auction website is a real piece of work, all traces to completed lots
disappeared within hours, but I'm pretty sure I caught the final bid on
most of the simulators and I didn't see anything that went for over $7k..
and those prices included the massive hydraulic pumps and supporting
equipment.

According to this article, it sounds like the facility was closed in 2012.
http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/07/remnants-of-northwest-airlines-pilot-training-center-up-for-grabs/
Whether or not all the computers were still in use at that time is tough to
say, but I was surprised at how clean and orderly most of the equipment was
that was left.

Has anyone been in to claim their prize(s)?

Did anyone happen to catch the final bid on the GP-4?