Old versions of Emacs

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Oct 21 07:33:17 CDT 2016

    > From: Lars Brinkhoff

    >> someone else at BBN (whose name I have forgotten, alas)

    > Sounds vaguely like MicroEMACS by Dave Conroy, but I suppose this is
    > something else? Unix V6 you say? Was it BBN PEN by David Barach, David
    > Taenzer, and Robert Wells?

None of those names rang a bell.

I just read the entire backup tape (in file form) into an editor, and
searched for "Emacs", and I found some things which indicate the version I'm
thinking of was written by Warren Montgomery, of Bell Laboratories (that's
what I get for relying on memory, sigh). It was apparently written in the
1980 to early-1981 timeframe.

Googling 'Emacs Warren Montgomery' turns up some interesting early things,
including this:

  http://org.ntnu.no/emacs/implementations.html
  https://www.finseth.com/emacs.html

Perhaps you already have this content, though?

    > Yes, I am! I don't think I can take on every single variation of Emacs,
    > but a version this early is interesting.

OK, I will keep this in mind if/when I ever manage to read the dump.

	Noel