Archived viruses, was Re: Reasonable price for a complete SOL-20 system?

Steven M Jones classiccmp at crash.com
Fri Oct 21 17:05:51 CDT 2016

On 10/21/2016 14:15, william degnan wrote:
> Any disk or archive you come upon from the early 90's should be scanned for
> viruses before use on a vintage machine.  USe a modern PC as it's no biggie
> to clean old viruses that way.  Scan before you use on an older machine,
> scan inside of ZIP files not just the zip itself.  There were three viruses
> that I found years ago on the most-often seen Maslin archive set.  Old
> stuff that's not an issue for modern machines.

I didn't think modern A/V products included complete historical sets of
signatures. I'm sure they can deal with ancient, simple bootloader
infections and such, but at some point I'd be concerned there's a gap
where something might be too new to be detected by the simplest
heuristics, but too old for a more sophisticated signature to be in your
common modern products.

But this isn't something I've had to deal with. Is this an imagined
problem, or has somebody run into this?

Thx,
--S.