For sale 128K Core RAM Industrial PDP 11/40 Massbus System

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Oct 30 20:15:28 CDT 2016

On 10/30/2016 05:09 PM, Mike Ross wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 10:09 AM, william degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> *For sale 128K Core RAM Industrial PDP 11/40 Massbus System*
>>
>> *Ebay:* 272432268291
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/272432268291?
>>
>> $1.
>>
>> Bill
> Unix? Probably a complete brain fart by me - but I thought Unix
> required a machine with separate I/D spaces and the 11/40 wasn't one
> of them?
>
> If I'm wrong that will be of some assistance to me actually :-)

The early Unix most definitely could run without separate
I/D spaces, in fact I think it could run without memory
management. That might have required it to stay in
single-user mode.  I'm PRETTY sure I ran a Bell Labs Unix on
an 11 BEFORE we got our 11/45, and those did not have memory
management.  (11/05 and CalData).  Our tests with that Unix
did not look promising, so we just did some testing and then
went to RSX-11M.

Jon