DEC DS10L Fix CPUFan!

Richard Loken rlloken at telus.net
Sun Oct 30 23:09:24 CDT 2016

On Sun, 30 Oct 2016, Jon Elson wrote:

>> Thank you for the tips, i will see if i can open it up in someway, the fan
>> is kinda like a laptop blower style, but a bigger version of it :) I think
>> i will need to buy new bearings for it when i have read on google about the
>> fan.

You never know until you try.

Anyway, the Alphaserver 4100 has four midsize muffin fans and I found them
trivial to take apart and trivial to replace the bearings which were a
standard off the shelf part.  It was easier to fix the fan than it was to
replace them since DEC had a custom fan with a speed sensor built in that
proved impossible for me to find.

It changes from model to model and generation to generation.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS   : "...underneath those
   Athabasca University				   : tuques we wear, our