50 yrs. of Star Trek!

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Thu Sep 8 14:00:21 CDT 2016

On 9/8/2016 10:41 AM, Al Kossow wrote:

> On 9/8/16 10:03 AM, Murray McCullough wrote:
>> What role did Star Trek play in the rise of small computers that are
>> so ubiquitous today?
> The main thing that comes to mind is how often images or references to TOS
> appear in mid-70's computing magazines.

I would say that Samuel Harbison's ascii art was impacted.  He did a
project to produce ascii
art very early on (I think there is a tape floating around if you have a
spare impact line printer
around) which included a Spock picture.  The image I think is dated 1973.

When I went to track him down to get permission to share his tape of
images, I went at it
just looking for the Sam Harbison of the header on the tape images. I
then realized he is the
Harbison of Harbison & Steel which was on the shelf behind me as my main
C programming
reference manual.  Duh.  He is a very nice fellow and said he had no
objection.

I noted Mike Loewen interviewed him about it some time later and did a
nice web page
about it.

http://i.imgur.com/K9EZq.jpg

http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~alien/aaa.html