G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 17:58:14 CDT 2016

On 12 September 2016 at 23:10, Richard Loken <rlloken at telus.net> wrote:
> Meanwhile, I am on my second mac Mini

Actually, now that you come to mention it, so am I. I had -- have -- a
G4 as well as the Core i5 I'm typing on. It was never my main machine,
though.

The thing I like about the minis, I guess, is that I have free choice
of display, keyboard and mouse. I like iMacs -- I have a dead G5, too
-- but they're not very expandable and if they die you can't reuse the
screen.

Whereas my Mac mini has 3rd party RAM and both an SSD and an HD
(upgrades from a Toshiba desktop-replacement notebook that the Mac
replaced) on a 3rd party bracket, and I'm using a Dell 5-button mouse
and an Apple Extended keyboard from '97 or so, on a 3rd-party ADB-USB
adaptor. And a pair of mismatched 2nd hand 23" LCDs.

All cheap, all used and repurposed. I don't like Apple's modern
keyboards, mice, trackpads etc., so if I bought a new iPad, they'd be
effectively wasted. The Retina iMac has a lovely screen, but it's also
jolly expensive and these sub-$100 used items are good enough.

Small, cheap, quiet, does the job.

And with the original '80s keyboard, it _feels_ (and sounds) like a
proper (i.e. '80s) Mac when I'm typing on it. :-)