G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Sep 13 11:58:58 CDT 2016

On 9/13/16 9:44 AM, Chuck Guzis wrote:

> I'd mostly run the G3 under OS X 10.4 using XPostFacto, but I don't
> believe that the combo supports the old 400K and 800K floppy formats.  I
> could have booted the G3 into OS X after I'd done the reading under OS
> 9.2, but that seemed to be the long way 'round the problem.

yea.. another project. Getting an Apple 20 pin drive working with a flux
transition reader.

I would be very surprised if much effort was put into making floppies work
under OS X

Apple was dragged kicking and screaming into the TCP world.

The one example that directly involved me was I asked them to support NTP
internally on the engineering network, so I didn't have to set the clock
constantly (I had a prototype machine with an RTC that ran fast). Around
1997 at the peak of the "dark times" an email (which was FINALLY SMTP and
not some stupidity like AppleLink) went out that there was no budget to
maintain the NTP server any more. Fortunately, the NeXT purchase of Apple
happened, the people that groked Unix came in, and that bit of stupidity
was killed.