68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...

Cameron Kaiser spectre at floodgap.com
Thu Sep 15 20:29:23 CDT 2016

> Few, if any processors could be unambiguously classified.

Some can. The TMS 9900 is indisputably 16-bit; it even has 16-bit memory
addressing, in addition to 16-bit registers, a 16-bit ALU and 16-bit
internal datapaths. For that matter, the CRU is 16-bit, too.

The PDP-8 and Intersil 6100 had 12-bit registers and 12-bit addressing,
at least natively.

If you ignore address bus size, lots of the 8-bits are clearly 8-bit, like
the 6502 and the Signetics 2650, which have 8-bit registers and 8-bit ALUs
and no doubling or splitting. I'm not aware of an 8-bit with an 8-bit address
bus [that isn't multiplexed], though I'm sure there's some wacky
microcontroller variants around that qualify.

And then there's the MC14500B ...

I think this only starts getting blurry when you get above the 8-bit
threshold.

> Which part of the elephant are we looking at?

"No, honey, that's *not* his trunk."

-- Jesus loves you, and I'm trying to. -- Jack Thompson -----------------------