Is anyone making replacement clear labels for DEC gear?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 12:03:28 CDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Rod Smallwood
<rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>      > From: Ethan Dicks
>>
>>      > One aspect of it is that some of the labels are damaged
>>      > ...
>>      > Before embarking on spinning up a process, I thought I'd ask if
>> anyone
>>      > has already done so.
>
>      I seem to remember that at least some of the markings were not actually
> labels but  screened onto the  chassis.

Some were, but not what I'm looking at.

> White for black metalwork and black on unpainted cad and pass metalwork.

Right.  Specifically, it's white on black metalwork that I'm
addressing.  Black letters are easy - use a laser printer on clear
adhesive material.

> There is a process used for  decals. You peel the back off and press on to
> whatever. Then peel the front of and there you are.

For cut vinyl (an option), that's how it's done - the knife scores the
adhesive vinyl then you put a transfer tape on top, peel the back,
remove all the vinyl fragments you don't want, then apply the transfer
tape and desired letters to the target and remove the transfer tape.

> Clear labels are available (I think). Printing black on clear OK. White is a
> problem. You need a special printer.

Yes.  That's the entire point of asking if anyone has gone down this
road before - the answers are things like
  a) special printer
  b) silk screen masks
  c) stamps and paint
  d) send it to a professional

Each approach has conveniences, inconveniences and cost.

-ethan