Stuffing boards with pulled QFP chips

Diane Bruce db at db.net
Sun Apr 2 13:15:48 CDT 2017

On Sun, Apr 02, 2017 at 10:40:40AM -0700, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> On 04/02/2017 07:53 AM, Diane Bruce wrote:
>
> > Read this:
> >
> > https://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/reference/tech_papers/2011-nasa-gsfc-whisker-failure-app-sensor.pdf
>
> There are problems with the site's certificate, but I was able to wget
> the paper using the --no-check-certificate option.

I also had to work around the stupid cert. ;)

> Tin whiskers were a big deal around 2005-2012 or so, and then the
> discussions suddenly dropped off.  I'm not sure why.

I remember the story well. All the denials from the Toyota people and
then this story about the whiskers in the controls. ugh.

> Here's a pretty good paper from about 2011 from Maxim that discusses the
> issue:
>
> https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/5250

*nod*

> It includes a bit on the danger (or lack thereof) of using lead-based
> solders in electronics.   Quite frankly, I wonder why the RoHS people
> didn't mandate that lead flashing on roofs, lead canes in stained-glass
> windows and a host of other applications weren't banned.

Not to mention lead in automobile weight balancers which is apparently
banned in Europe. I guess it's because roofs, lead canes in stainless windows
aren't recycled as quickly as electronics. I dearly wish they had have
mandated proper lead recycling instead of an outright ban.

> --Chuck

Diane
--
- db at FreeBSD.org db at db.net http://www.db.net/~db