Cleaning RK05 packs (Was: LGP-30 Memory Drum Update)

Philipp Hachtmann hachti at hachti.de
Mon Apr 3 08:37:25 CDT 2017

On 01/05/2017 02:22 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>     > From: Klemens Krause
>
>     > We clean our RK05 disks in a very robust way: with cheap burning spirit
>     > and paper towels. ... We rubbed away thick black traces from occasional
>     > head crashes and we never removed the oxide coating with this torture.
>
> I am about to get a large batch of RK05 packs, so I am interested in the
> details of this.
>
> First, what is 'burning spirit'? (I assume this is a straight translation
> into English of some German term, but not knowing German... :-) After poking
> around with Google for a while (hampered no little by the fact that it's the
> name of a band, and also a term in World of Warcraft :-), it seems like it
> might be acetone?

In Germany, "burning spirit" is 96% ethanol + something that tastes
awfully + some water. No other kinds of alcohol involved as far as I
know. Some people are able to remove the awful taste in the lab.

I usually use 100% IPA to wash my RK05 packs...
I don't let acetone get near my stuff. It probably will remove the
laquer. Nice prep if you want to apply a new coating to your disk.

I do it like Klemens: Scrub, scrub, scrub. The black spots MUST be
removed. Important not to lay the disk onto a hard or somehow grain
contaminated surface while scrubbing.

BTW: The RK05 manual explicitly warns from WATER on the disks. You
should not spit (i.e. blow!) onto the surfaces as water is said to
dissolve the coating.

Philipp