IBM AS400 questions

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 15:17:08 CDT 2017

Devin,

The backup command is 'savsys'.  The commands on on AS/400 are usually
three letter abbreviations for in the command mashed together savsys =
'save system'  or 'work with user profiles' is 'WRKUSRPRF'  and the
shutdown command 'Power Down System' is 'PWRDWNSYS'.  If you type in the
command and press PF4 it will open a menu where you can fill in the
options for the command, once you get used to the commands you can type
the commands with options right on the command line  for instance the
command to shutdown and power off is 'pwrdwnsys *immed restart(*no)'
this is permanently burned into my brain from back in the days when
AS/400 was still in development and the OS was running on S/38, but was
a bit shaky and prompting commands would crash the system so we learned
the commands with options.

Since this is a 170 it probably has a QIC or 8mm tape under the covers
and the resource name for it is likely 'TAP01' savsys will by default
create a bootable tape that can be used to restore the OS.  You may want
to test booting from the tape you created by changing the IPL tpye on
the operator panel from the usual "B" to "D".  The D mode IPL specifies
booting from an alternate IPL device which is normall tape or CDROM.
You may not be aware that you cannot just throw in any SCSI disk, the
disks have to be the specific disks that are blessed for use in an AS/400.

A quick google came up with a site
http://www.ibmfiles.com/pages/as400e.htm that seems to have some of the
170 manuals linked.

Paul.