Remex Tape Reader - Pre-power up advice?

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Apr 18 03:17:43 CDT 2017

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017, Rod Smallwood wrote:
> There are what appear to be 1976 date codes on some caps.
>
> If its that old then replace all and any electrolytic capacitors plus any
> paper based caps.
>
> If they aint bad now they soon will be.

*shaking head*

Sorry, this is just a plain dumb answer. If they are good now, they
probably will be good in 10 years, too. We never change any caps just
because of their age.

I suggest: check for electrical safety, then plug it in and try it; after
all, it's "just" a tape reader with a simple PSU, not a 50s era mainframe.
It will just work, I guess. If there should be a problem with those "big
caps", you'll see it. But it's much faster and easier to test them
beforehand (i.e. short or no short) than to foolishly replace everything.

Christian