Attaching DEC Handles, the Right Way

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:01:18 CDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 11:06 AM, jim stephens <jwsmail at jwsss.com> wrote:
> He made a line of the ears for the DEC manufacturers here in Orange County,
> and I've seen his SPC or Stu Phillips or Phillips company logo on may such
> products.

I didn't find his products, but I found these:

http://www.bivar.com/enclosure-hardware/ejectors-handles-inserters-extractors/handles/cp-series?p=CP-2%20NT

The CP-2 line seems to have the right dimensions for DEC FLIP CHIP
modules (2.43" wide, ~2" rivet hole spacing) and they have them in
natural nylon, which might be dyable, white, and black.

They are stocked by Digikey and Mouser for under $1 each.

> That business came from him owning an injection molding machine and someone
> asking him to make the handles.  His original business was doing jobs like
> the riviting and other assembly jobs around Orange county.

We are exploring a small-scale injection mold machine at our local
hackerspace.  I want to try some DEC switch handles but as an earlier
experiment, FLIP CHIP handles will be a simpler die to make.

-ethan