Reviving VT220?

Aaron Jackson aaron at aaronsplace.co.uk
Fri Apr 28 04:32:01 CDT 2017

Hi all,

A colleague and I are trying to get a VT220 working again as it recently
died on us. We are hoping to set up a few items for the mid-80s
(including this terminal) to show the graduands what it would have been
like if they were doing their CompSci degree 30 years ago.

It looks to me like the flyback is dead. There is a lot of soot and
there looks like there is some damage to the top of the transformer,
better seen in the second image.

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~psxasj/sparse/flyback1.jpg
http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~psxasj/sparse/flyback2.jpg

The terminal powers on and does the usual beeping but nothing is
displayed on the screen. Does anyone have any advice about what to do
here? Are there any sources of compatible flyback transformers?

We have a second VT220 which exhibits the same behaviour, hopefully for
a different reason so we can try and cobble two into one.

Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron.

--
Aaron Jackson