Tandon TM-100-1 electronics repair

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 14:35:54 CDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 1:18 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> On 04/28/2017 10:01 AM, Ethan Dicks via cctalk wrote:
>
>> So that's where I'm at - the drive was working before the power was
>> jiggled and now it's not and it doesn't appear to be the
>> electronics.
>
> Make sure that the head is making good physical contact with the medium.
>  Sometimes the head suspension can get damaged and lose contact.

I will check for that, but it was working minutes before I bumped the
power strip and it stopped working immediately after (it was the boot
drive - the machine failed to reboot after the momentary power loss
and the diskette was not damaged - the same diskette boots in the
other TM-100 when it's strapped as :0/DS0.

> Use an  ohmmeter to check for continuity in the head windings.

Yes.  That was my plan.  I have a dead 1541 because the read head is
open, so I've seen it before.

I accidentally ran a drive test with the head unplugged - same results
as when plugged in, so I'm really leaning towards a toasted head,
sadly.

Checking current auction prices on TM-100-2 drives... wow... they sure
got pricey.  They are a long way from "how many do you want?  Take
two, they're small" days.  I think I have a bare drive on the
bookshelf out at my farm.  Have to go look for that now.

Thanks,

-ethan