2.11BSD on two RL02 drives? Probably not, but...

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Fri Aug 4 03:14:51 CDT 2017

On Thu, 3 Aug 2017, emanuel stiebler wrote:
> On 2017-08-03 11:12, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
>> It would be nice, though if someone just finished a MSCP controller with a
>> CF or SD on it.
>
> I don't think there is enough demand for it. So to finish it would take some
> effort, and the boards wouldn't be cheaper than the SCSI controllers out
> there (CMD, Emulex, etc).

I don't like the idea of CF or SD at all. I'd pretty much prefer PATA or
SATA, because ...

> However, it would be nice to get rid of the noise of rotating rust ;-)

... I have tons of PATA and SATA drives. Real drives are also much more
reliable than flash drives, and the noise isn't an issue at all. Modern
drives just don't make any noise when used in a PDP-11 (or whatever
UNIBUS or QBUS system) ;-)

BTW the problem with Fujitsu Eagle SMD drives is that they need a complete
lowlevel format from time to time. *All* Eagle drives I have, have
developed bad sectors that can't be read without errors even with
microstepping and other tricks.

Christian