2.11BSD on two RL02 drives? Probably not, but...

emanuel stiebler emu at e-bbes.com
Fri Aug 4 07:25:16 CDT 2017

On 2017-08-04 04:14, Christian Corti via cctalk wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Aug 2017, emanuel stiebler wrote:
>> On 2017-08-03 11:12, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
>>> It would be nice, though if someone just finished a MSCP controller
>>> with a CF or SD on it.
>>
>> I don't think there is enough demand for it. So to finish it would
>> take some effort, and the boards wouldn't be cheaper than the SCSI
>> controllers out there (CMD, Emulex, etc).
>
> I don't like the idea of CF or SD at all. I'd pretty much prefer PATA or
> SATA, because ...
>
>> However, it would be nice to get rid of the noise of rotating rust ;-)
>
> ... I have tons of PATA and SATA drives. Real drives are also much more
> reliable than flash drives,

Sorry to disagree, at least partially ;-)

Industrial grade sd-card are pretty good, and we are talking cards with
less than 1gbyte per card. And still, backup is pretty easy, if you can
take out the card, put it in another system and transfer the whole
container file to you favorite backup media ...

That's also, why I always have at least two sd-card slots on the boards,
to have one "exchangeable" media in it, you can take out without
stopping the system.

> and the noise isn't an issue at all. Modern
> drives just don't make any noise when used in a PDP-11 (or whatever
> UNIBUS or QBUS system) ;-)

Probably listened to too many RD5x or similar in my life ;-)

> BTW the problem with Fujitsu Eagle SMD drives is that they need a
> complete lowlevel format from time to time. *All* Eagle drives I have,
> have developed bad sectors that can't be read without errors even with
> microstepping and other tricks.

replacing SMD drives would be a nice project too ...