2.11BSD on two RL02 drives? Probably not, but...

Phil Blundell pb at pbcl.net
Fri Aug 4 14:18:05 CDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-08-04 at 15:04 -0400, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:

> And this path allowed us to get rolling without having to go through
> the PC-board fab cycle... (including the complexity of doing boards
> with gold fingers).

Just as an aside on that, I doubt you really need the hard gold fingers
on a prototype board.  You do need something to stop the copper from
tarnishing, and hard gold is almost certainly the most durable option,
but I can't think of any obvious reason that an ENIG or immersion
silver finish wouldn't work just fine on the fingers for a moderate
number of insertions.

Not that I've ever actually built a Unibus card though so perhaps there
is some complexity or something especially hostile about the sockets
that I'm not realising.

p.