pdp-8/e restoration.

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Mon Aug 7 16:40:21 CDT 2017

On 07/08/2017 18:37, Rod Smallwood via cctalk wrote:

> So to-morrow connect up a terminal that will do 110 baud and try an echo
> test.
>
> Next part is interesting. There should be a way to fake a reader / punch
> and feed in tape images.

There is.  Look on Kevin McQuiggin's site:
http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/pdp8/

In the section called "Software", about 1/3 of the way down, look for
send.c or better still new-send.c (I call it rsend, on my system).  You
might also find rim.c and the BIN loader useful.

They're also on my webpage, with the corresponding manpages:
http://www.dunnington.info/public/PDP-8/

That's the easiest place to get the manpages for rim.c, send.c, rsend.c.
Here's the gist (top parts of the manpages):

rim - create RIM-format file from ASCII addr/instr
   rim is a very simple converter.  It reads in a file containing two
   columns of ASCII digits; the first column is a list of addresses (in
   octal) and the second is a list of machine instructions (also octal).
   Output is a file suitable to feed to the RIM loader on a PDP-8.

send, rsend - send a file in RIM or BIN format to a PDP-8
   send and rsend are utilities to transmit a RIM format or BIN format
   file from a UNIX (or other) host to a PDP-8 over a serial line.  The
   PDP-8 should be running the RIM loader routine prior to starting
   either of these programs.
   Input should be a file in RIM format or BIN format.  Output goes to
   the host serial port, which should be connected via appropriate cable
   to the PDP-8.
   send is a simple version, with built-in serial port settings and a
   fixed delay between characters.  rsend is more sophisticated; it can
   be controlled by command-line options or environment variables, and
   can accept input on stdin.

On a Unix (or Linux etc) machine you can pipe the output from rim to
rsend, and if you're using papertape images (of which there are load on
the net), rsend can strip the headers for you.

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull