RX02 Difficulties

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Dec 16 19:59:50 CST 2017

On 12/16/2017 05:21 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:

> So, some of us do not trust the labels on disks.

Ha.  I lost a bit of hair when I received a batch of 8" hard-sector
disks and tried to make sense of them.   What were obviously sector
headers didn't line up at all with any of the sector holes.

It wasn't until I got to the bottom of the pile that I noticed that one
was a soft-sectored disk.

To make a long story short, it's possible to set some drives for
hard-sectored operation, with sector pulses output to a different pin
than index pulses.  If one simply ignores the separate sector output,
one can use either soft- or hard-sectored floppies in soft-sector mode.

I did verify that this is exactly what the customer had done.

--Chuck