RL02 version of UNIX6?

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 13:07:51 CST 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 12:19 PM, Noel Chiappa <jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
wrote:

>     > From: William Degnan
>
>     > Can one be made using simH to dump and set up for RL02 that can then
> be
>     > ported as a RL02 disk image to actual RL02 drive?
>
> I see someone has already provided a pointer to someone who ha done this;
> I'm
> not sure if that system will boot on a hardware 11/40, or if it was built
> with
> m45.s, or some simlar issue.
>
> It would be pretty easy for anyone with a working V6 UNIX (either on
> hardware,
> or emulated) to do this, _iff_ they have a V6 RL driver. ('Vanilla' V6 does
> not include one.) My 'Bringing up V6 under Ersatz-11' page describes one:
>
>   http://www.chiappa.net/~jnc/tech/V6Unix.html#rl
> <snip>

http://www.tom-yam.or.jp/2238/rl/ has a "..  bootable image of v6 root on
RL02 .."

doesn't hurt to try I suppose, see what happens on a real PDP 11/40.  My
fear is that it will not have enough RAM on top of whatever other issues
are present.

It will take about two hours, I'll run in the background while I work today.

I had no problem building a RT-11 5 distribution disk earlier today, took a
little over an hour and booted up just fine.  I realize this is a totally
different beast, but at least I know I have the process working correctly.

BIll