New batch of pdp8 OMNIBUS to USB interface! Please Read and react!

Philipp Hachtmann hachti at hachti.de
Sun Feb 19 05:07:27 CST 2017

On 17.02.2017 17:21, Kyle Owen wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Philipp Hachtmann <hachti at hachti.de>

> KiCad has no affiliation to Arduino; in fact, it's being heavily maintained
> by CERN.
But wherever I (!) look, in my part of the universe, a strongly biased
and personal view, I see only those Arduino folks using it.
Might be different in other places, but...

> With the licensing model Eagle has just moved
> to, alternatives like KiCad sure seem attractive.
The new Eagle license model is a mess. I will stick to my Eagle 7. The
idea of my little board designs being held hostage by a company
somewhere is not good.
And when the day has come that I can't go with the then old Eagle
anymore and the licensing has not been repaired, then I will think about
alternatives. Perhaps then KiCAD has already changed into the greatest
EDA tool ever made.

> Why are you bent out of shape over the Arduino community? It seems clear to
> me that teenagers growing up with them will outgrow the language and
> hardware limitations and move onto more advanced things before starting
> their careers. I think one could make a decent analogy to BASIC on many
> 8-bit microcomputers from decades past.

Easy: If I had the impression that it is like you write, I'd be totally
fine with it!
But back in those days with BASIC it was easier to take the next step.
If you want to go further beyond Arduino, you will have to instantly
understand a huge amount of stuff.
In my opinion the learning step from using a fancy Arduino library to
understanding/modifying/writing another is too big.
In BASIC it started with little things like peek and poke.
There was no hidden C++ :-)