story of Mel

allison ajp166 at verizon.net
Thu Feb 23 12:18:09 CST 2017

On 2/23/17 11:16 AM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
> [...]
To you that's the old days.  To me its recent history.

Midi became the common bus to talk to instruments and drivers
(keyboards, synthetic strings and all) of
all sorts.  It popped up in the early 80s as a viable bus for music and
stage control IO.

Before midi...  when dirt was relatively new then, we used computers and
software to do things like
flip the PDP-8 link bit and a speaker attached.    Fancy would have been
a R2R of 5 or 8 bits as simple
D/A on a parallel output port (or LP11) and with the right timing loops
and maybe some data you could
synthesize any waveform and most any pitch.  if the machine was fast
enough.  Of course you need a
music input too and something to compile it to data and commands (or did
it using a #2 and paper).

There was a major conference in the 70s for computer generated music.
Look up NOTRAN.

Allison