I hate the new mail system

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.plus.com
Tue Feb 28 16:22:24 CST 2017

On 28/02/2017 21:23, Rich Alderson via cctalk wrote:
> OK, it's official.  I rarely criticize mail interfaces, because
> they're usually mostly innocuous.  However, today's change makes life
> a lot more difficult.

Actually, I rather like it, because in my mail client (Thunderbird) it
shows as "From: Classic Computers <cctalk at classiccmp.org>".

> In the past, it was simple to direct a reply to an individual instead
> of to the list because the originator's address was right there in
> the From: header.  As of today, the list address is substituted for
> that, so that it is impossible to respond privately unless you happen
> to have a bunch of old messages archived and the person to whom you
> want to respond is someone who has written previously.

But the "Reply To:" header lists both cctalk and the original sender's
address, which any mail client should honour, so all you should need to
do is remove the cctalk address (Rich will get two copies of this
because I didn't remove either address).

--
Pete
Pete Turnbull