Drum Computers (Was Cleaning things (was Cleaning RK05 packs (Was: LGP-30 Memory Drum Update)))

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Sat Jan 7 05:06:32 CST 2017

On 1/6/2017 6:46 PM, Rick Bensene wrote:
> Today, there seems to be no record that 3M ever was in the computer business.  But...it was.
They inflicted the write only media on the world that became QIC. So
they were in the biz long enough to do that.

Media never intended to be recorded at the densities most devices
recorded at, and never intended to have the tape move at the speeds it
did inside the cartridge.  Won't go on and on about it, old topic.

They did make a tape drive of some sort, I recall seeing they marketed
something to read and write their own tapes a very long time ago.

thanks
jim