Drum Computers

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Jan 8 09:44:52 CST 2017

On 01/08/2017 03:02 AM, Mark Linimon wrote:

> - One time a contractor came in to paint the building and despite
> instructions, painted the computer room as well.  Of course the paint
> got in to the Bryant.  The folks who worked on it said, well, what
> have we got to lose.  They pulled the platters, used some kind of
> solvent to remove the mess, put them back in, and the thing just
> continued to work.  "Tolerances", who needs 'em ...

I had a couple of the salvaged Bryant platters as mementos back in the
day.  I thought about making a coffee table out of one, but the hole in
the middle was a stopper for me.   Perhaps I should have stuck a
flowerpot in it or something...

As I recall the heads on the Bryant weighed in at about 8 lbs apiece.

--Chuck