Fwd: Stinky screwdrivers

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Jan 8 23:17:21 CST 2017

On 01/08/2017 08:16 PM, Al Kossow wrote:

> I sent this out to some friends at the end of December

I've got a few large (not the torque-handle thing) from the late 60's
Xcelite nutdrivers.   They don't smell and they're in fine condition.

Must have been a formula change at some point.

Reminds of the issue with cellulose acetate-based film and tape.  Most
conscientious people placed said objects in airtight storage containers,
which apparently is exactly the thing *not* to do.  I'm not aware of any
process to reverse the decomposition.

Old plastics in general are a nightmare for museum conservators.

--Chuck