GMAIL accounts suspended.

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Mon Jan 9 12:28:07 CST 2017

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 14:43:51 +0100
Tor Arntsen <kspt.tor at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 January 2017 at 14:37, william degnan <billdegnan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 8:09 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>

> >> Damned if I know, but it's happening to me frequently, too. >:-(
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > My first thought is that gmail is huge, they load balance email
> > servers and they may bounce on a timing schedule that conflicts
> > with the schedule used by the mail server cctech uses.[..]
>
> I initially thought that as well, even though I found it unlikely
> (I've never observed delays when I email from somewhere to a gmail
> account, and never any bouncing due to load).
>
> What I think happens, because it's so frequent, is that some list
> members use addresses that fail gmail's verification. We already know
> that yahoo and aol emails suffer from this, their address come through
> in the mailing list but the sender is not yahoo or aol (it's the
> mailing list server), and there are some hoops to go through to avoid
> those problems (I had to set an option to not automatically have those
> emails go to spam).
>
> So, in short, I think the problem is caused by posts from some
> particular subscribers getting bounced by some servers (among them,
> gmail), not that the receving servers (e.g. gmail) are overloaded or
> otherwise failing.

This is absolutely correct. As an admin that manages a CHM list on
Google, I agree that the problem is NOT with Google Gmail per se.
They are merely enforcing what they promised to do months ago.
Enforce the DMARC policy. Here's a typical response from Google when a
mail server does not follow practices initiated to reduce SPAM (actual
domain hidden by me with xxxxxx.xxx):
host gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [173.194.203.27]
SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
550-5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from xxxxxx.xxx is not accepted due
to domain's 550-5.7.1 DMARC policy. Please contact the administrator of
xxxxxx.xxx domain 550-5.7.1 if this was a legitimate mail. Please visit
550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn
about the 550 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. q12si89233361pgc.52 - gsmtp

BTW, this typically happens when an email is posted to an email server
which is then redirected to Gmail via another server.

More and more mail systems will be enforcing DMARC policies - so it
would be good to make sure your ISP is setup correctly.

FYI - I use MANY email vendors (yahoo, comcast, arrl, acm, any my own
bickleywest.com, cerfnet.net, cerfnet.org, etc.) and ALL conform to the
DMARC policy and have no issues sending to or receiving mail from gmail.

Cheers,
Lyle

--
73      AF6WS