What is the most amount of money you've spent on a computer or computer-related item?

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Thu Jan 12 15:08:24 CST 2017

$15,000 for a used Mekel microfiche scanner in the early-2000's

It turned out to be just past prototype stage, was missing the pneumatic fiche handler
and never really got it working at production volumes. The small number of fiche scans
on bitsavers from around then was the sum total of the output.

I scrapped it last summer.

I've probably spent more money trying to deal with scanning microfiche than on any single
project beyond acquiring documents to scan.