PAL video in the states

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 09:49:55 CST 2017

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Kurt K <kurtk7 at centurylink.net> wrote:
> I have a number of systems that require PAL and I was looking on Ebay for dual
> NTSC / PAL monitors, and if necessary I can handle the power conversion requirements.
> Any recommendations for a monitor that can work with Amstrad/Sinclair, BBC's, the
> Archimedes, and the like.  I figure more than one may be necessary.

My LCD television (Sony KDL-22E5300) claims to be able to display PAL, PAL60 (I
assume PAL with 60Hz vertical), SECAM (doesn't say which one), NTSC (with either
a 3.58MHz or 4.43MHz subcarrier). It also has a VGA input, analogue
(TV rate) RGB
and 'component video' (the last if you happen to have a Tatung
Einstein computer, I
guess :-)). I am sure other TVs of a similar date (about 6-7 years
old) have similar
facilities, maybe more modern ones do as well.

On my workbench I have a little (9") Sony Trinitron monitor. It's the sort of
thing that was used for moniitoring signals in a TV studio. It's a model
PVM9044QM. It can handle just about any TV rate video (US or UK
rates), PAL, NTSC, Secam, analogue RGB (seperate sync or sync on
green), component video, S video, etc. OK, 9" is probably too small for
normal use, but it is ideal on the bench as it will display the output of just
about any home computer. Be warned it's complex inside, 2 large PCBs full
of chips and several smaller ones.

As for power, the TV runs off normal UK 240V mains. The workbench monitor
runs off ACmains from 100V to 240V or off a 12V DC supply.

-tony