PAL video in the states

Geoffrey Oltmans oltmansg at
Fri Jan 13 14:05:19 CST 2017

I use a TV tuner/video capture card (Hauppauge WinTV-D) and DScaler to
display output from my PAL Commodore 128D either composite or Y/C. It works
quite well actually. I did try a cheapy PAL/NTSC converter from eBay but
any horizontal movement is terrible since it doesn't do any
framebuffering/pulldown necessary to handle the difference in refresh
rates. Dscaler displays just about perfect (although the Hauppauge card
introduces a bit of noise in the video).

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Adrian Graham
> <binarydinosaurs at> wrote:
> > On 13 January 2017 at 15:49, Tony Duell <ard.p850ug1 at> wrote:
> [Sony PVM9044QM]
> > I bought one of those recently ostensibly as a monitor for my Apple ][s
> but
> > like you say it's capable of pretty much anything you can throw at it.
> > ukp25 too, bargain.
> You can get the service manual from elektrotanya, and believe me you
> need it!
> >
> > I didn't think of putting my Einstein through my big TV, instead I spent
> > quite a bit on the official Tatung monitor for an exhibition I was doing.
> The Einstein can output either RGB (analogue) + sync or 'Component
> video' (luminance and 2 colour difference signals). There are links on the
> PCB to select which.
> I've never seen the official Tatung monitor for it. I assume it's based on
> a common TV chassis design. (The Einstein PSU is very similar to some
> 1980s Decca/Tatung TV power supply circuits).
> -tony

More information about the cctalk mailing list