What is the most amount of money you've spent on a computer or computer-related item?

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Fri Jan 13 15:01:37 CST 2017

On 2017-01-13 5:19 PM, Paul Koning wrote:

>>> Neat! By the standards of the time, those were not really high image
>>> quality, but definitely adequate and successful for newspaper work. I
>>> remember working with them in the early 1980s.
>>>
>> Yes, its primary job was newspaper galley setting when I bought it, but I did bureau work on the side. Even some negatives of questionable density ;)
>
> The quality issue I remembered was somewhat jaggy outlines, even
though the scan resolution was entirely adequate. It was the first
outline based typesetter I've seen, and you could tell from the film --
but not from newsprint -- that the outline shapes weren't quite fine
enough. It's possible I'm remembering wrong and that was the Linotron
300 that had this issue. Perhaps so, the dates for PostScript don't
quite fit the dates when I was doing this stuff.

That machine was switchable 1270/635/317 dpi. I never saw such an issue
with the L100 at 1270dpi. It was as good as you could expect from a
capstan machine.

--Toby