SunoS 4.1.4 and Open Windows 3 on an IPX?

Mattis Lind mattislind at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 05:58:42 CST 2017

I have installed SunoS 4.1.4 on a an IPX and then tried to start Open
Windows 3  from the command line.

I get a garbled screen that looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/jWcbqYO.jpg?1

It looks like there is a mismatch between what resolution Open WIndows is
using and how the frame buffer is configured. My screen reports that the
framebuffer is outputting 1280x1024 at 76Hz.

How can this be adjusted? I have read this manual:
http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/sun/openWindows/Open_Windows_Version_3_Installation_and_Start-Up_Guide_Sep91.pdf

and various FAQs trying to modify EEPROM settings etc but it won't work.

I understand that the 13W3 cable includes a number of sense lines so that
the framebuffer can adjust to the monitor used. I haven't checked how 13W3
to VGA cable is configured but I assume it tells the FB to use
1280x1024 at 76Hz since it is what the screen reports.

On the other hand, when SunOS boots it finds the cgsix0 and reports that
the resolution is 1000x1022!?

Any idea on how to set different resolutions in Open Windows? What I am not
understanding here? The word resolution is not even mentioned in the
Installation manual for Open Windows above...

/Mattis