SunoS 4.1.4 and Open Windows 3 on an IPX?

jim stephens jwsmail at jwsss.com
Mon Jan 16 06:14:32 CST 2017

On 1/16/2017 3:58 AM, Mattis Lind wrote:
> I have installed SunoS 4.1.4 on a an IPX and then tried to start Open
> Windows 3  from the command line.
>
> I get a garbled screen that looks like this:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/jWcbqYO.jpg?1
>
> It looks like there is a mismatch between what resolution Open WIndows is
> using and how the frame buffer is configured. My screen reports that the
> framebuffer is outputting 1280x1024 at 76Hz.
>
> How can this be adjusted? I have read this manual:
> http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/sun/openWindows/Open_Windows_Version_3_Installation_and_Start-Up_Guide_Sep91.pdf
>
> and various FAQs trying to modify EEPROM settings etc but it won't work.
>
> I understand that the 13W3 cable includes a number of sense lines so that
> the framebuffer can adjust to the monitor used. I haven't checked how 13W3
> to VGA cable is configured but I assume it tells the FB to use
> 1280x1024 at 76Hz since it is what the screen reports.
I think you may need to force the display if you can to the 1000x1022
resolution.  That doesn't sound too far off what I recall the
resolutions were.

are you connecting into the thing thru serial so you can poke around?  I
don't recall for sure if the default loaded system allows serial login,
but you might be able to get on thru the serial port and adjust things
as well.  I didn't read the guide above, this is from fighting with the
systems long ago.

I used a box that was made by Raritan or such to convert the video and
keyboard to allow connection to VGA KVM and those boxes had some active
circuitry in them to do things with the selects.  They weren't doing
anything as far as sync adjustment, but may have pulled a different set
of settings to both the Sun system and to the KVM and on to the
display.  I did not have much trouble with that, so don't recall having
to play with the frame buffer settings.

thanks
Jim