Soldapullt original vs III

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 02:18:23 CST 2017

I've used Hakko vacuum de-soldering stations, and will agree that - at
least for production work - they are superior. But most of my handwork and
re-work has been with spring-loaded solder suckers, and here's what I've
found.

The full-size 'Soldapult' devices are probably the best of the bunch, in
terms of both vacuum power and displacement. They're also easier than some
to clear out. Now having said this, I will NEVER again buy a genuine Edsyn
Soldapult tool, after my experience with that company.  It went like this:

Bought a brand-new full-size Soldapult at +retail+ from an auth'd
distributor. It worked for exactly around 20 minutes until it broke,
totally. Said distributor +refused+ to take it back, told me to contact the
manufacturer (and you'll see why, next). Contacted Edsyn and they simply
refused to warranty it - period - no matter what.. I even told them exactly
what went wrong and asked for the (simple) parts I'd need to repair it.

Nope! Sorry! Nada.

Then I got on the eBay and bought 2X of the China knock-offs plus 4X spare
tips, which have been working fine now for 7-8 yrs. I put my faith in Edsyn
and they just gave me the fat finger. Heck with that outfit.