What's the rarest or most unusual computer-related item do you own?

Jerry Weiss jsw at ieee.org
Tue Jan 17 14:18:17 CST 2017

> On Jan 17, 2017, at 12:58 PM, Alan Frisbie <Flash688 at flying-disk.com> wrote:
>
> I just joined this list, so I'm not sure which of the items I own
> would be considered by this group to be rare or unusual, but here
> goes…

Hi Alan,

Nice to see you on the list.   If memory serves me correctly, you presented
a talk on (very) high speed data acquisition at DECUS a few decades ago.

> DEC RKV11D Q-Bus controller for RK05 disks (on my LSI-11/73 system)
> Originally, it only supported 16-bit addressing, but I added the
> chip and wires to make it support 18-bit addressing.   I have never
> even heard of another of these controllers, so I assume it is rare.

There was also a third party Q-Bus controller that handled 18 bit DMA.
I don’t recall the vendor, but I remember using in on Diablo RK03’s.

I once upgraded a DEC DR11B in a smilier fashion.  It was 18bit addressable,
but would not transfer across a 32Kbyte boundary.   After reviewing the prints
it turned out to be very easy to add another counter chip fix this.  I glued to another
chip dead bug style (downside up) and soldered a few wires.   I always liked
the ability to improve things.

> I recently retired, so my #1 job now is getting rid of all the stuff
> I accumulated over my almost 50 years in the computer industry.   I
> have three rental storage units full of stuff and the cost is
> killing me!   Is it OK to post ads on this list?
>
> Alan Frisbie

I actually accumulating more as I semi-retire.   If they don’t let you
post, let us know where you will be listing things.

Regards,
Jerry
jsw at ieee.org