tu58fs - PDP-11 file sharing with TU58 tape emulator

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Sat Jan 21 02:49:47 CST 2017

> On Jan 20, 2017, at 11:51, Jörg Hoppe <j_hoppe at t-online.de> wrote:
>
> Guys,
>
> I'm working on a special TU58 emulator called "tu58fs".
> It saves the "tape content" not only in a binary image file, but also as a file set in a shared directory on the host.
>
> The content of the "tape" (as seen by the PDP) changes automatically as files are moved in and out of the shared dir.
> This works in both direction: creating/changing/deleting a file on the "tape" modifies the files in the directory.

Neat!

> tu58fs is intended to be a general tool for easy file sharing between a PDP and the modern world. For this as much DEC filesystems as possible should be implemented.
> We need more than XXDP, but I wasn't able to find documents about the structure of DOS-11, RT-11 or FILES-11/ODS-1.
>
> Any links?

I've written (bad?) Python code to manipulate RT-11 filesystems, including on TU58 tape images:

https://github.com/NF6X/pyRT11

I don't remember which specific documentation I referred to when I wrote this code, but it may well have been something like this manual:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/dec/pdp11/rt11/v5.6_Aug91/AA-PD6PA-TC_RT-11_Volume_and_File_Formats_Manual_Aug91.pdf

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/