IBM 7074 and then some: "Systems we love" conference

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Jan 25 21:07:33 CST 2017

On 01/25/2017 05:47 PM, Eric Smith wrote:

> Based on the bios of the authors, I'm actually more inclined to
> believe the book than annotation of a photo on the IBM web site.

Computerhistory.org mentions that the 1959 date was part of other
information written on the back of the photo.  Nevertheless...

Okay, how about this?

https://www.soa.org/Library/Research/Transactions-Of-Society-Of-Actuaries/1959/January/tsa59v11n3182.aspx

"Transactions of Society of Actuaries"
1959, Volume 11, Number 31

"MR. LLOYD G. ROLLERSON stated for the past 7 years the Crown Life has
been using a seriatim validation method.  They are now  in the process
of installing an IBM,  7070 system, but will retain the seriatim system."

So, how could IBM be installing a 7070 at a life insurance company in
1959 if the machine hadn't been released?

I can dig up more references, if your confidence in the authors of the
1986 book is still unshaken.

--Chuck