OS "update" will screw you (Was: Windows 10 recent creator release may take your printer out. I am really irri

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Tue Jul 4 16:18:58 CDT 2017

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017, Torfinn Ingolfsen via cctalk wrote:
> FWIW, this is nothing new with Windows: when the switch from Windows
> 2000 to XP happened, a lot of HP printer owners (I don't know if it
> was limited to HP, sorry) was stuck with printers without a working
> driver.
> Yes, I know this doesn't help.

Also, 95 to 98, 98 to 98SE, NT to XP, XP to 7, 7 to 10, etc.
Almost any OS change.

Not just MICROS~1:
My sister just called me; her current model Mac laptop upgraded itself,
and now she can't use her HP printer any more.  "HP says 'talk to Apple';
Apple says 'talk to HP'"

Often complete removal of driver and reinstalling will work, but not
always.
Sometimes they force you to buy new hardware, without justification.

When the Win7 Lenovo that I use for Handbrake did an unwanted,
unauthorized ("NO means NO!") change to Win10 and would no longer do what
it was for, I was able to roll it back.  ANYDVD is on a dedicated XP Vaio
without external connectivity (thumb drive sneaker-net).

Bill Gates must be made into a millionaire!

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com