ChipQuik Troubles

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Jul 5 19:54:10 CDT 2017

> On Jul 5, 2017, at 6:17 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 07/05/2017 01:42 PM, Rob Jarratt via cctalk wrote:
>> I bought some ChipQuik recently and managed to successfully remove a 74LS125
>> with little trouble. Today I have come to trying to desolder another similar
>> sized chip, but try as I might I just cannot get it to work. The ChipQuik
>> just balls up and won't "take" to the pins. I applied plenty of the flux
>> supplied with the ChipQuik, but I wonder if I applied too much?
>
> Will the pins take "regular" solder?  I wonder if there might not be
> some coating on them...

Real solder works just fine.  I've assembled boards that were made to lead-free standards, using lead-free parts -- since that's all you can get now.  On the advice of a board rework technician I used real solder.  Her comment amounted to that real solder always works better, and that lead-free solder is something you put up with if you have to.

	paul