tape baking

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Thu Jul 6 11:47:26 CDT 2017

> On Jul 4, 2017, at 08:16, Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> The 'out-gassed material' is water, which has been absorbed
> by the binder, which is hydroscopic.

Has anybody experimented with drying media in a vacuum chamber at room temperature?

My abortive attempt to play with an old TK50 tape in a TZ30 drive was a disaster of sticking, oxide shedding, and manual unloading/respooling of a tape that the drive could no longer handle. I had not tried baking the tape.

I do plan to make some sort of media baking setup when that project bubbles back to the top of the list. I wonder if pulling vacuum on a tape for a while might also have the desired effect? I have a bottle of cyclomethicone on order. I wonder if I might need to make some sort of reeling machine to apply it to tapes? The TK50 tapes are particularly resistant to manual manipulation. Maybe I could make a machine to allow me to unspool a TK50 tape while wiping on cyclomethicone and then re-spool it, perhaps by hacking up a drive mechanism.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/